Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Traveling Home

BWI Waiting Area #1

I like the 'journey' part of travel, whether by air, train or sea. Once through security at the airport (which is never fun, but then I do not expect to enjoy it), I find a place to sit and pull out my laptop or kindle (I like technology, but am not very adept with technological matter), or wander through the shops and invariably find a magazine to read. I was at the airport far too early today, but that made the process at the Delta kisoks and baggage line and security relaxing and of course because I was there with lots of time to spare, everything went very quickly (it is always slow when I am late!).

There were many seats available in the waiting areas, and I found a quiet place to read until my plane was ready to board. At the airport in Quito, Wifi is free and I think that makes alot of sense. It is not free at BWI or Atlanta, so I managed without internet for most of the day, except when I used my skype account to ask Eric to pick me up; I did not want to risk the trip home with two huge bags (full of clothes for children, which I will bring to CENIT) and three computers in my backpack (we bought computers for Gustavo and Mateo, the son of a friend of mine).

I had chosen the exit row, so had lots of space, and listened to the man in front of me 'sell' his iPad to the person sitting across the aisle from him. He was clearly very enthusiastic, but I did not need his commentary to be convinced (it is on my list of absolute must-haves when I am working again and have money in the bank!). Atlanta airport was a breeze, and I had more than enough time to wander to my gate and find a smoothie to drink and another magazine to read and wait a little more. I saw a man sitting near me get an upgrade to first class, and I wondered whether I could make that happen, but it was a passing thought and I did not bother to check, since I knew my exit row seat was good enough, and I had not paid for my ticket anyway (or maybe I did pay in a roundabout way, since I used all my frequent flyer miles). The plane was not full and I had my little space to myself. I am still as excited as a child when I see the private little television screens in the seats; I watched almost three whole movies during the five hour flight, and would have watched more had there been more time. It was easy to ignore the turbulence almost all the way through the flight. I did not talk to anyone, it was as if I was in my little bubble, quite oblivious to the world around me.

I was nervous at Immigration, concerned about my status and three computers in my backpack, but again, both Immigration and Customs were a breeze, and I was relieved to see both Eric and Maya waiting for me at the exit. Maya appeared to have grown a bit in the week that I was gone, and I realized how much I had missed her and how good it felt to be home again. Home is where your family is, so Quito is home, and I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment