Saturday, June 19, 2010

Teatro Bolivar

Grey Skies over the Centro Historico

Ancient Shaman

Quito has decided not to be summer for now. I heard the rain before I woke up and it continued to come and go all day. It was so cold, I dug through my suitcases for my warmest clothes and piled on the layers and was still cold. Most of the year has been unseasonably warm and sunny, so I am not accustomed to dressing for the chill. The usual weather is six months of 'winter' with daily afternoon rain and warming up in the middle of the day. We missed winter entirely and had just sunshine for months. Summer is usually dry and windy and warm and sunny. For now, winter has come during the summer months and it gets colder and colder daily.

Rain, Wet, Grey, Misty

Maya had a violin concert to prepare for at the Ministry of Culture on Colon and Juan Mera. We listened to alot of awful singing before the violins came on. Maya got through her pieces without difficulty, so we sighed in relief and bundled up to return home and dress and prepare for the ballet event. I was responsible for makeup, which I have very little of, but enough to do the job. Once at the theatre, I was not allowed in with Maya. I left her at the door of the burned out building. The Teatro Bolivar was the premiere venue for artistic events in Quito before it burned down ten years ago. It is a lovely theatre, and deserves to be lovingly restored, but instead, it is used for functions as is, the burnt out sections untouched. It is a little creepy, but it is evident that this was once a grand and impressive building.


I braved the rain to walk to San Fransisco where a concert was playing 'in Defence of the Revolution'. Correa describes what he is doing for Ecuador as a 'revolution'. and there have been ads daily through the world cup games describing the wonders of the revolution. Quite the propaganda campaign. The concert was classic Ecuadorian music, and the audience stood under umbrellas or crowded under the tents used to house music equipment. I was not too far from the Casa Alabada, where I wandered for an hour admiring the incredible collection and feeling more comfortable than when I visited the Colonial Museum. I am convinced that this is the best pre- columbian collection in Quito, perhaps in Ecuador.


I joined the line of parents, some waiting since they let their children off. They had been told that doors opened at 5, but when I arrived at 5:15, the line was still getting longer and thicker. I think we got in a half hour later, and although the theatre filled rapidly, we were able to get good seats. Maya danced beautifully, as did her friends and the entire company. The ballet mothers have been a big part of my life her and I will miss them. We exchanged email addresses and promised to stay in touch. Maya will miss her friends from ballet. She will have no more lessons at Fundacion Danza. I want her to rest her feet anyway; the pointe shoes have hurt her feet and we must visit a podiatrist. Meanwhile I have been giving her foot massages nightly and she has developed a great appreciation of having her feet rubbed. I hope all this pointe work has not damaged her feet irrevocably.

Maya and Melanie in Full Makeup!

Whew what a day. Too much for Maya and too much for me. I was delighted to walk through the Centro Historico on a Saturday night. Fireworks were nearby so the sky was lit up colourfully. I have no idea what the occasion is. Clearly the Centro is a happening place at night. For Maya and I, it was time to go home and eat and get to bed and rest up.

No comments:

Post a Comment