Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Inspired by Dance and Orthopedics

Jacchigua Dance

Another long and inspiring day at the hospital! It was good to see patients improving and on their way home. I was so impressed with their resolve and their perseverance and their strength. They were up and about and moving in no time, and determined to recover and appreciative of all the staff. I remember how much I loved orthopedics when I was a student, precisely because problems were fixed and patients improved and it was always so rewarding. The energy amongst the CAMTA staff is amazing, and I feel privileged to be a part of it.

Brandon Happy Again

I was able to spend time with Leslie and help her mother organize her therapy and discharge. The social worker here has to arrange for a wheelchair for Leslie so she can return to school as soon as possible, since she cannot put weight on her foot for six weeks. Coincidentally, I found myself taking the bus and Trole with Leslie and her parents until my stop. They were on their way home to Guallabamba, another two hours from my stop. Leslie was exhausted, as was her mother, and I found myself almost asleep on my way home.

Clown Dance

Brandon returned with his mother, who told me that he was back to his usual self, almost as if he had never had surgery. We were worried that he was dehydrated and refusing to nurse yesterday, but clearly he is looking perfectly healthy today. Gladyss was on the OR schedule today, as she had wished, and wanted to talk about her 'special needs child' and what we would be doing for her in the United States.

Chagra Dance

The ambassador and his wife came for a tour of the facility and were genuinely interested in what the group was doing. I was asked to accompany them and translate, and was invited to a reception in honour of the group and the translators tonight. I was entirely unprepared for an evening event, but was able to squeeze in a visit during Maya's violin lesson.

Folkloric Dance

I had arranged to accompany Debra to Jacchigua, a folkloric dance performance that is held each Wednesday night at the Casa de la Cultura. I am very familiar with the group, having seen them on several occasions. The costumes are stunning, the musicians excellent, and although I had thought originally that the dances were not genuine, now that I have seen many performances of folkloric dance, I have a better understanding and appreciation of this particular presentation. There is one dance however, which was once sort of bizarre, but now has taken on a religious theme, and does not quite fit the style of the other dances. The choreographer described how he had diabetes and had lost 70% of his vision, but that Jesus was in his life and helped him survive, and I believe that he wanted to show that in the dance; I was just confused. I prefer the more traditional dances; the steps are surprisingly simple, but there is elegance and style to the movements, and the dances often tell a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment